1. Visit The Medici on 57th street
in the Hyde Park neighborhood for Garbage Pizza and a chance to write your name on the booth.
2. Are you free on a Tuesday night? Go to the free Chicago Outdoor Film Festival
(between July 15 and August 26).
3. Ride your bikes along Lake Shore Drive. Bike Chicago
has great routes.
4. Do you need a reason to yell "Opa!" at any given moment? Attend the 3-day festival called "Taste of Greece"
with children's games, live Greek music, and plenty of delicious Greek food.
5. Visit the great Chicago Public Library that also has some artwork to peruse. Check out some books at one of the Chicago Public Library locations
. A favorite of mine is the Harold Washington Public Library.
6. Speaking of books, browse some of the best books at some great literary events. Most especially, the Printer's Row Book Fair
7. Take the kids to Chinatown
and be sure to visit local groceries for fun. Visit the Chinatown Summer Fair
8. Planet Esme
is the best in children's book exploration, but wait! It's not really a store. It's an experience.
9. Try the mixed cheese and caramel popcorn from Garrett's Popcorn
. But be ready to stand in line. The smells will keep the kiddies quiet while you wait.
10. The Air & Water Show
is always thrilling. If you can watch from a high-rise building it's even BETTER. Grab a hot dog from Portillos
and do it up Chicago-style.