By, Dr. Lindsay Heller, The Nanny Doctor
Your nanny cares for your child with love and sensitivity on a daily basis. Her birthday is the perfect opportunity to show her how much you care about her and appreciate how much nanny work she does for your family. Unfortunately, so many families don’t take notice of this special day in the life of their nanny and miss out on an opportunity to let her know she is important. Here are some quick tips for celebrating your nanny’s birthday:
1) Take note of when her birthday is and plan ahead of time to celebrate it!
2) Get your children involved. Ask them to create a drawing for her or art project. Let your children know why you are doing something for your nanny and how much you love and appreciate them. Encourage your children to talk about why they love her so much and what she means to them. Write their words down on the back of the artwork in quotes for the nanny to read.
3) Are your children too young for artwork? Send flowers to your nanny on her birthday from your baby with a note about how much you appreciate her!
4) As far as gifts go, there is quite a range of what is acceptable. The bottom line is you should do what is comfortable and feels right for your family. While some families are able to give huge cash gifts, other families may be able to give a nanny $100 or $50. You may also choose to give her a paid day off – which can be great because it doesn’t affect your budget. You can also think outside of the box – think about your friends…do they own their own businesses? Perhaps you know a friend who is a massage therapist and you can get a deal on a massage and pass on a gift certificate to your nanny.
5) Try to avoid buying something extravagant. What may be beautiful or special to you may not be useful for your nanny. Instead of a designer scarf, get her a gift card from a local grocery store or a gift card for a restaurant. These kinds of gifts can go a long ways and also extend to your nanny’s family which can be an extremely valuable gift. Offer to purchase her bus pass for a year, listen to her, has she been complaining about a dishwasher that keeps breaking down? If it’s within your budget, these are the kind of gifts that can be really appreciated by your nanny.